Webb-Waring Biomedical Research Program

History

The Webb-Waring Institute was founded in 1924 by Dr. Gerald Bertram Webb and later directed by Dr. James J. Waring.  For over 80 years, the organization contributed to the advancement of biomedical research by engaging in basic and clinical research and training research scientists.

The work of the Institute was supported by a separate endowment funded by Ruth Porter Waring, Dr. Waring’s wife. This endowment led to the establishment of a separate but related entity know as the Webb-Waring Foundation.

In 2008, the Webb-Waring Institute became a part of the University of Colorado and is now known as the Webb-Waring Center. The Boettcher Foundation was entrusted with the stewardship of the Webb-Waring Foundation’s assets.

Download a PDF copy of The Webb-Waring Story for a detailed history

A New Funding Area is Born

Through an innovative agreement between the Boettcher Foundation, the Webb-Waring Foundation and the University of Colorado, a new funding area was established at the Boettcher Foundation to support the work of early-career scientists in the biomedical sciences in Colorado. The early-career scientists who receive the Webb-Waring Biomedical Research Awards are designated as “Boettcher Investigators.”